Sunday 22 March 2015

1) Read the article and summarise each section in one sentence, starting with the section 'Who are you?'
The first section looks closely at how people see themselves differently from who they really are, we live in a society were media and role models shape that we are.
The next section focuses on how people are based on traditional values such as race and religion
The next section looks at the additional things that people need for survival, media makes people buy additional things that are not necessarily needed. The next section focuses on how we have brands now representing us. The next section looks at how people use the internet as the internet helps people remain anonymous and they can see anything through the internet that can’t be used against them.  Class, brand, religion and status does not affect anyone.

2) List five brands you are happy to be associated with and explain how they reflect your sense of identity.
New look- most of my clothes are from there and it represents me
Apple- ever since my first iphone, I’ve been buying their products.
Mac- I love their make up and I use it
Nike- I love their trainers and I used to purchase from them a lot

3) Do you agree with the view that modern media is all about 'style over substance'? What does this expression mean?
Post modern criticises it as they see the identity in the media as being shallow and not leading people’s culture to become ‘style over substance’ Furthermore, there is an addition to how dominant the mass media has become.

4) Explain Baudrillard's theory of 'media saturation' in one paragraph. You may need to research it online to find out more.
Baudrillard calls ‘media saturation’ results of placing high factors of physical higher than internal traits that are more important.

5) Is your presence on social media an accurate reflection of who you are? Have you ever added or removed a picture from a social media site purely because of what it says about the type of person you are?
I think that the pictures that I put on social media are a reflection of me. It is me in the pictures after all. But I think that through instagram one can show their appearance and also show a little message at the bottom of the picture which helps.

6) What is your opinion on 'data mining'? Are you happy for companies to sell you products based on your social media presence and online search terms? Is this an invasion of privacy?

I personally disagree with companies using our information. I do believe that this is a great invasion of privacy. I believe that they should try ask people if their information could be used because after all the information belongs to them and its not there for companies to misuse it and manipulate people into thinking that its customised.


No comments:

Post a Comment